Updated: May 2024
90/180 Rule Calculator

90/180 Rule Calculator

Visitors to Spain from any country that is not in the European Free Trade Agreement (EFTA) are subject to the 90/180 rule. Use our 90/180 rule calculator to help you stay within the rules.

How does the 180 day rolling period work?

The 90/180 rule means you cannot stay in the Schengen or ETIAS area for more than 90 days in any 180 day ‘rolling period’. (The ETIAS area is almost the same as the Schengen area, but not exactly. The ETIAS area isn’t operational til 2025. You can read more about this at the bottom of this page).

The idea of the ‘rolling period’ confuses some people. Basically, at any point that you are in the relevant countries, if you count back 180 days (6 months) from today, and see that you have been 91 days or more in the whole Schengen (or ETIAS) area over that time, you have overstayed. 

Let’s take a couple of examples. In the same year, if you spend 30 days in the area in January, and another 30 days in April, you have used 60 days. If you then spend another 30 days in August, at the end of that time you will still be on 60 days. Why? Because at the end of August, counting back 180 days, you will find those 30 days from April, but you won’t find the 30 days from January, because they were more than 180 days ago. The 180 days is like a shadow you cast behind you, back in time, and in August, it has ‘rolled forward’, meaning January is no longer in the shadow, but April still is! Now, if you add yet another 30 day trip, and this next 30 day trip is in May of the following year, at the end of that trip you would have used 30 days. This is because you will be in a new rolling period. Why? Because when you count back 180 days from May of the following year, there will be no other trips included in that period that goes 180 days back from there. 

Using our 90/180 rule calculator

If you are in the area or planning to visit the area and you have already visited in the last 6 months or so, you can put the dates of your recent trips into the calculator and then the dates of your current and next trips, to ensure you won’t go over your limit.

If you haven’t visited the area in the last 6 months but you are planning a long trip or several trips over the next 6 months, you can use the calculator to add all the future dates together to ensure they don’t exceed 90 days in a 180 day period.

With our 90/180 rule calculator, you can add as many entry and exit dates as you like. It will tell you whether you will be over your 90/180 day rule limit at any time.

90/180 Day Rule Calculator

Add entry and exit dates in the past, present or future in chronological order. The calculator takes into account the rolling 180 day period by counting backwards from your exit date for each trip, and adding together the number of days you have been (or will have been) in the area over the last 180 days, at the time of your exit. Your remaining days are then given. If, when you enter the area, you have not been in the area in the past 180 days, a new rolling period begins & your allowance is reset. This is the same way that official databases will asses whether you are remaining within the rules.

Row Calculator

Whilst every effort is made to ensure accuracy, the calculator is for guidance only and does not constitute legal advice. No responsibility is assumed for use of this tool. 

Who is Subject to the 90/180 Rule?


If you are visiting Spain for business or pleasure, you will probably fall into one of the following 3 categories:


If you are from an EFTA country (The EU countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland), you do not need a visa or an ETIAS authorisation. In addition, you are not subject to the 90/180 rule. However, if you wish to stay for longer than 90 consecutive days in Spain, you need to get residency status. This means you need to get your NIE, your certificado de empadronamiento, your certificado de registro, and fulfil other requirements. See here for further details


If you are from one of the more than 60 non-EFTA countries that do not need a visa to visit Spain, you can enter Spain or any other Schengen country for up to 90 days in any 180 day period. This includes the UK and the USA. Note that for these purposes, the Schengen Area is treated as one country. So, once your stay in all these countries combined reaches 90 days in any rolling 180 day period, you will need to exit the entire Schengen area. From 2025, you will need an ETIAS authorisation, which will allow you to enter ETIAS accepting countries multiple times over a period of 3 years. The 90/180 rule will still apply, and all the ETIAS accepting countries will be treated as one country. If you wish to stay for more than 90 days, you will need to apply for an appropriate residence visa. Once you have obtained this, you will need to apply for a TIE and fulfil its other associated requirements


If you are from a country that needs a tourist visa to enter Spain, you need a Schengen visa. Schengen visas may be single entry or multiple entry, and may be valid for 3 or 5 years. If you have a Schengen visa, you may enter the Schengen Area (including Spain) for up to 90 days in any rolling 180 day period. After your cumulative time in the Schengen Area countries reaches 90 days, you must exit the entire Schengen Area. If you wish to stay for more than 90 days, you will need to apply for an appropriate residence visa. Once you have obtained this, you will need to apply for a TIE and fulfil its other associated requirements


Visa Requirements for Different Countries

Share this page: